For years scientists have dedicated their lives to studying the aging process and how to slow it down. Their most promising lead to understanding how to repair and maintain healthy DNA is NAD. It is the most important molecule in human life.
What does NAD+ do?
NAD, short for nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, is a coenzyme found in all living cells in the body. There are two variants of the molecule; NADH and NAD+, the latter of which is what this article will focus on. NAD+ is necessary for biological processes like regulating metabolism and DNA maintenance. NAD+ is an important component of human aging because it helps maintain healthy mitochondrial function. These mitochondria are the first defense against the aging process.
Large amounts of NAD+ in the brain convey health and longevity but decreases as we get older. The decline can be accelerated by constant stress, irregular or poor-quality sleep, lack of essential nutrients, drugs, alcohol, and inflammation. When NAD+ levels are increased they battle aging by activating the anti-aging enzyme sirtuin. Sirtuin affects how the body ages because it regulates inflammation in the body and helps cells repair damaged DNA.
What happens when NAD+ levels decrease?
- Less bioavailable NAD+ causes the aging process to speed up because DNA can’t repair itself without healthy mitochondrial function. This means the body is slower to heal and repair itself.
- Decreased NAD+ increases the chances of certain cancers because damaged DNA doesn’t know how to function properly causing it to replicate in the body. NAD+ also absorbs harmful UVB rays protecting your skin from cancer.
- It creates “brain fog” or trouble focusing because the body is converting less energy for the brain to properly function.
- Low levels of NAD+ means that the body is not adequately converting nutrients from food (carbs, fats, and proteins) into usable energy, which results in chronic fatigue.
- It slows down the metabolism and can increase the likelihood of weight gain because fewer NAD+ molecules are converting food into energy and it is instead being stored as fat.
How to boost NAD+ levels?
There are ways to increase NAD+ levels in the body, like exercise and IV Therapy, and return the body to a better functioning form. Since NAD+ cannot be found in foods, supplements and IV therapy are the best way to increase production in the body.
NAD+ IV Therapy
The benefit of an intravenous intake of NAD+ is that it bypasses the digestive system and is injected directly into the bloodstream where it is carried to the brain. This increases the bioavailability that the body can then harness for cell repair. This therapy is doubly beneficial when Niacin, also known as vitamin B3, is added to the IV therapy because it is a precursor in the body for NAD+ synthesis.
This method comes in capsule form but must first travel through the digestion system and can lose some of its potency in the process. There are a variety of supplements available on the market.
Following the ketogenic diet of high-fat and low-carb keeps the body in a state of ketosis, constantly burning its fat stores for energy. During this ketolytic metabolism NAD+ production increases in the body.
Interval training, cardio and resistance exercises help maintain skeletal muscle function as we age and boost the production of NAD+ by burning off excess NADH in the body.
Some studies suggest that intermittent fasting boosts NAD+ levels and the production of sirtuins. A caloric restriction boosts the lifespan of a wide variety of species because it increases NAD+ production in the body.
These methods can all be incorporated into daily life to bio-hack the body, slow down the aging process, and live a healthier life. Research shows that increasing the levels of NAD+ molecules is the number one way to combat aging and IV Therapy treatments can make the process easier. NAD+ can improve a wide variety of naturally occurring changes including restoring muscle function, improving brain cognition, and bringing back energy levels.
If you are interested in finding out more about how IV NAD therapy can improve your life and address your aging related issues, get in touch with us through call or email and speak to one of our highly-trained staff. We can answer all your questions and ease you through the process.